The Catholic Faith Inventory was created by Paulist National Catholic Evangelization Association to help people understand their personal experience of faith, assess their understanding of the Catholic faith, and stimulate further spiritual growth.
What is the Catholic Faith Inventory?
The Catholic Faith Inventory is an online survey which consists of 121 questions. These questions will help you assess your knowledge and practice of the Catholic faith.
Who can benefit from taking the Catholic Faith Inventory?
Almost any adult or young adult who is Catholic or thinking of becoming Catholic can benefit from the Catholic Faith Inventory.
• Life-long Catholics who wonder about how well they understand their faith;
• Young adult Catholics who have questions about their faith;
• New Catholics who have recently joined the Church and wonder how much they
still need to learn;
• Inactive, alienated or former Catholics who are thinking about returning to a more
active practice of their faith;
• Non-Catholics who are thinking about becoming Catholic.
How does the Catholic Faith Inventory Work?
When you are ready, click on the link below. Enter your personal information and submit it. You will receive a "ticket ID" code or private link to the Inventory in a return email. Use the ID code or private link to reach the Catholic Faith Inventory online.
When you have accessed the Catholic Faith Inventory, answer the 121 questions by selecting “Yes,” “No,” or “Unsure.” Completing the Inventory takes approximately 20 minutes. When you are finished, click "Submit Your CFI" and in a few seconds you receive a 23 page Participant's Workbook.
The Workbook gives your scores in nine categories essential for spiritual growth in the Catholic way of life:
• Spiritual Awareness
• Conscience and Morality
• Social Justice
• Basic Doctrine
• Catholic Identity
• Catholic Sacrament
• Community Participation.
This information provides a “picture” of your current beliefs and practices regarding the Catholic faith and a series of engaging exercises to foster spiritual enrichment in each of the nine categories.
This assessment of your faith is unique and sacred at this stage of your life's journey. It is designed to help you understand your personal faith journey more clearly. It is not designed to determine who is a “good” Catholic and who is a “bad” Catholic or who is a “smart” Catholic and who is a “dumb” Catholic.
How does the Catholic Faith Inventory help foster spiritual growth?
Taking the Catholic Faith Inventory will help foster your spiritual growth in three ways:
1) It will raise your awareness about your knowledge and practice of the Catholic faith.
2) Even more important, the exercises contained in the Workbook will help you identify areas where further study and reflection will deepen your understanding of the Catholic way of life.
3) In addition, you may use the knowledge you gain from taking the Catholic Faith Inventory to choose continuing adult faith formation and education opportunities offered by the Catholic Parishes in Waterloo or other adult education providers. If you wish, you may also visit privately with a pastor, a member of the parish staff, or a personal spiritual director about your Inventory results and your efforts to continue growing in your understanding and practice of the Catholic faith.
Is the Catholic Faith Inventory confidential?
The Catholic Faith Inventory is completely confidential. Your personal identifying information (your name and email address) will be seen only by the Paulist National Catholic Evangelization Association (PNCEA), which administers the Catholic Faith Inventory. No one else will be able to connect you to your Inventory results, so your privacy is guaranteed. Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
There is no charge for taking the Catholic Faith Inventory.
Click here to take the Catholic Faith Inventory online