About the Workshop
The Critical Choices Workshop co-hosted by the Catholic Parishes in Waterloo and Cedar Valley Hospice helps participants identify and express how they wish to be treated if they are seriously ill or dying and unable to speak for themselves.
The Critical Choices Workshop helps participants
- Examine the medical, personal, emotional and spiritual issues which often arise at the time of a serious illness or at the end of life.
- Discuss options for end-of-life care and specific ways in which persons may be comforted in their final days.
- Examine options for critical care and end-of-life choices which are compatible with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Learn how to create documents guiding healthcare in an emergency or at the end of life such as Advanced Medical Directives, a Living Will, and Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare.
In addition, the Critical Choices Workshop prepares family members to discuss among themselves the type of personal, spiritual and medical care they wish to receive in an emergency or at the end of life. This is the type of discussion every family should have in order to avoid confusion, disagreement or regret when decisions must be made about the care of a loved one who is unable to think or speak for themselves.
The workshop is open to persons of all ages and faiths. We encourage family members or caregives to attend with loved ones, or to attend on behalf of loved ones who are unable to attend themselves. Pre-registration is requested.
2016-17 Workshop Schedule
Current workshops are scheduled on the following dates:
- November 7, 2016. 7:00-9:00p. O'Hagan Hall. Sacred Heart Parish.
- February 22, 2017. 1:30-3:30p. St. Matthew Room, St. Edward Parish.
- May 13, 2017. 9:30-11:30a. Scallon Hall, Queen of Peace Parish.
- Find out how Catholics make critical health care choices. Click Here
- Print a guide to approved Catholic health care choices. Click Here
- Print a checklist of your health care priorities. Click Here
- Print a checklist of what you believe about life and death. Click Here
Last Update: 09.22.15