Tuesday, January 20. 6:30pm. Church Hall, St. Edward Parish.
Thursday, January 22. 6:30pm. Church Hall, St. Edward Parish.
Sunday, January 25. 1:00pm. (Spanish) Scallon Hall, Queen of Peace Parish.
• At the parent meeting you will have an opportunity to choose dates for
your child's First Communion and the First Communion Retreat.
• If you cannot attend one of the parent meetings, contact Pam
Johnston or Dave Cushing.
• Download copy of the First Communion Enrollment Form in English or in Spanish
• Download copies of the Parent Meeting handouts here.
Parents are responsible for their child's immediate preparation for First Communion. Use the lesson plans in the Together magazine to help conduct the weekly lesson in the student workbook.
Week of January 28 -- Pages IV and V/Chapter 1. Belonging
Week of February 4 -- Chapter 2. Gathering
Week of February 11 -- Chapter 3. Reflecting
Week of February 18 -- Chapter 4. Listening
Week of February 25 -- Chapter 5. Preparing
Week of March 4 -- Chapter 6. Remembering
Week of March 11 -- Chapter 7. Receiving
Week of March 25 -- Chapter 8. Journeying
• If your child is enrolled in a Catholic school, they should bring their book to school on Monday.
• If your child is enrolled in a parish religious education program, they should bring their book to class on Wednesday.
• If you have questions or concerns about the home lessons, contact Pam Johnston or Dave Cushing.
March 3. 6:00-8:00pm at St. Edward (Church Hall).
March 7. 10:00am-Noon at Sacred Heart (O'Hagan Hall)
March 8. 1:00-3:00pm. at Queen of Peace (Scallon Hall)
• If you have questions about the retreat or need to change the date you plan to attend, contact Pam Johnston.
• Click here to see when your family is scheduled for the retreat.
You must attend the rehearsal at the parish where your child will celebrate their first Communion. You will receive information in advance about ordering group and individual photos from the professional photographer.
Blessed Sacrament Parish -- Saturday, April 11. 9:00-11:00am. Photos will be taken following the rehearsal.
Queen of Peace Parish -- Saturday, April 25. 1:00-3:00pm. Photos will be taken at First Communion Masses, not at rehearsal.
Sacred Heart Parish -- Thursday, April 16. 6:00-8:00pm. Photos will be taken during the rehearsal.
St. Edward Parish -- Thursday, April 23. 5:30pm. Photos will be taken following the rehearsal.
Blessed Sacrament Parish. April 11-12. 4:30pm, 8:30 and 10:30am Masses (Choose the Mass you prefer.)
Queen of Peace Parish. April 26. 9:00am and Noon Masses. (Noon Mass in Spanish)
Sacred Heart Parish. April 18-19. 5:45pm and 10:45am Masses. (Choose the Mass you prefer.)
St. Edward Parish. April 26. 11:00am Mass at St. Edward Parish.
• Children ordinarily celebrate First Communion in the parish where their family belongs; however, you may choose another parish when there is a need to do so.
• Please register at the January parent meeting for the First Communion celebration your family plans to attend.
• If you need to change the date you chose, contact the Faith Formation Office at 319-235-9430.
• Click here to find out when your family is scheduled for First Communion.
Children should wear their "Sunday best" -- slacks and dress shirt, tie or sweater are appropriate for boys; a modest dress is appropriate for girls. White shirts and white dresses are common, but not required.
Children must be at least 7 years old, be baptized and have celebrated the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession). As a general rule, children should have been enrolled in a Catholic school or religious education program for the equivalent of one year.
At least one parent or guardian must be a practicing Catholic who is registered in one of the Waterloo parishes. Parents should be providing a nurturing environment for Catholic faith and should be actively participating in their child's faith formation.
• If your child is not baptized or has not celebrated Reconciliation, contact Dave Cushing or Pam Johnston.
• If your child was not baptized in one of the Waterloo parishes, you will need to provide a copy of the child's Baptism Certificate. If your child celebrated Reconciliation in one of the Waterloo parishes this past fall, we should have a record of the baptism on file.
Your opinions and suggestions are important to us. Please take a moment to evaluate this year's preparation for First Communion.
• An evaluation form will be posted here at the end of the preparation process.
Check these companies for traditional Catholic gifts for First Communion:
Autom Company, Phoenix, Arizona
Missal Leaflet Company, St. Paul, Minnesota
The Printery House, Conception, Missouri
St. Meinrad Abbey Gift Shop, St. Meinrad, Indiana
St. Patrick Guild, St. Paul, Minnesota
Vatican Gift Shop at the Vatican in Rome
• • •