Faith Formation Office. 319-235-9430.
Julie Niemeyer 234-9912 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Information about immediate preparation for First Communion will be sent to parents in mid-December.
Choose one of these Parent Meetings to attend.
Sunday, January 22. Noon (Burmese) O'Hagan Hall, Sacred Heart Church
Monday, January 23 6:30 p.m. Blessed Sacrament Parish Center
Tuesday, January 24 6:30 p.m. Blessed Sacrament Parish Center
Wednesday, January 25 6:30 p.m. (Spanish) O'Hagan Hall, Sacred Heart Church
• If you cannot attend one of the parent meetings, contact Julie Niemeyer.
Celebrations of First Communion
Blessed Sacrament Parish. April 22/23. 4:30 p.m., 8:30 a.m., or 10:30 a.m. Mass
St. Edward Parish. April 29/30. 5:15 p.m. or 11:00 a.m. Mass
Queen of Peace Parish. May 7. 9:00am and Noon Masses. (Noon Mass in Spanish)
Sacred Heart. May 6/7. 5:30 p.m. or 10:45 a.m. Mass
• Children ordinarily celebrate First Communion in the parish where the family belongs; however, you may choose another parish when there is a need to do so.
The school/religious education and the parents work together for their child's immediate preparation for First Communion.* The student workbook is used in religion class. The child writes in the book, and it can be kept as a momento. At home parents use the lesson plans in the Together magazine and the child's My Own Mass Booklet to reinforce and extend learning. A $20 fee will be collected for the Reconciliation materials; $25 for First Communion materials. More information about the schedule for lessons will be given at the parent meeting.
* For children who completed their religious education in the Summer RE program, the immediate preparation for First Communion will be entirely a home study. Parents of these children will receive the student workbook, Together magazine, and My Own Mass Booklet at the parent meeting.
First Communion Retreats
Second grade students from all Waterloo Catholic parishes who are preparing for First Communion will attend a retreat. At the parent meeting in January you will have an opportunity to choose a date for
your child's First Communion Retreat. Choose from among these dates and times.
Saturday, February 25. 10:00am-Noon at Sacred Heart Church (O'Hagan Hall)
Sunday, February 26. 2:00-4:00 p.m. at at Sacred Heart Church (O'Hagan Hall)
Monday, February 27. 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Sacred Heart Church(O'Hagan Hall)
• If you have questions about the retreat or need to change the date you plan to attend, contact Julie Niemeyer.
Rehearsals and First Communion Photos
You must attend the rehearsal at the parish where your child will celebrate their first Communion. You will receive information in advance about ordering group and individual photos from the professional photographer. Dates and times for the rehearsals and photo sessions will be posted in February.
First Communion Dress Code
Children should wear their "Sunday best" -- slacks and dress shirt, tie or sweater are appropriate for boys; a modest dress is appropriate for girls.
White shirts and white dresses are common, but not required.
General Requirements for First Communion
• If your child is not baptized or has not celebrated Reconciliation, contact Julie Niemeyer
• If your child was not baptized in one of the Waterloo parishes, you will need to provide a copy of the child's Baptism Certificate.
Your opinions and suggestions are important to us. Please take a moment to evaluate this year's preparation for First Communion.
• An evaluation form will be posted here at the end of the preparation